It’s finally arrived—Derby day! Heavy rain overnight in Louisville meant the main track was closed for training this morning, but the rain is gone (for now). With hot, humid conditions guaranteed, we’ll see the temperatures soar into the upper 80s with isolated showers possible. Thus far, only race 4 has been taken off the turf, while in race 8—the Grade 2 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile—there are two scratches: #6 Annabel Lee and #7 Aruna. You can stay updated with changes via Equibase.
If you aren’t able to be at Churchill Downs, then the place to be is on Twitter for handicapping commentary, picks and late-breaking news. For those who are still looking for information and selections, check out these posts:
- For his gig with the Buffalo News, Gene Kershner (EquiSpace) makes his Derby predictions. Since he’s also on the ground at CD, he also has photos up from yesterday morning of some Derby contenders working out and an overview of Oaks Day.
- With his Oaks winner Believe You Can, Anthony Falbo (The Turk) is live in the Oaks-Derby double; just who does he need to win today?
- Ever the etymologist, Teresa Genaro (Brooklyn Backstretch) makes her Derby picks by the letters; her guest blogger Brian Nadeau from Horseplayer Now also handicaps the field.
- Appropriately enough, Ted Grevelis (Owning Racehorses) finds Alpha to his liking; here’s his complete Derby analysis.
- She gave out Animal Kingdom last year; who does Sue Dalebroux (Post Parade) like in this year’s race?
- Want to know who has the breeding to get the 10-furlong Derby distance? Over at Hello Race Fans!, Valerie Grash (Foolish Pleasure/Fillies First) breaks down the entire field.
- His complete analysis is up here at ThoroFan, but Chris Hernandez (Giving My Ten Cents) has other thoughts on today’s Derby and its undercard.
- Keith McCalmont (Triple Dead Heat) has been on the ground at CD as well; his latest post is about Woodbine-based Derby contender Prospective. He also wraps up Oaks day and makes his Derby picks.
- Finally, curious about the famous Oaks’ fillies foot fashion? Fran Jurga (Hoof Blog/The Jurga Report) has video, pictures of winner Believe You Can, Summer Applause and Sacristy being shod.
Good luck with all your wagers today!